If you’re feeling low or struggling to cope, text ‘SAC’ to 85258 for free, confidential support at any time of day or night. This service, in partnership with Shout, is anonymous and won’t show up on your phone bill.
How does Shout Text ‘SAC’ to 85258 work?
Shout’s trained volunteers are there for you 24/7 to listen and support you to get to a calmer and safer place. Shout is a free, confidential, anonymous service for anyone in the UK. It won’t show up on your phone bill.
To start a conversation, text the word ‘SAC’ to 85258.
If your life is at imminent risk, call the emergency services on 999.
What happens when you use the service?
- To start a conversation, text (please don’t WhatsApp) the word ‘SAC’ to 85258. If you’re feeling low, anxious, worried, lonely, overwhelmed, suicidal or not quite yourself, we are here for you.
- Once you text us, you’ll receive four automated messages before you connect to a trained Shout Volunteer. This will usually be within five minutes, but if we are busy it can take longer.
- The volunteer will introduced themselves and ask you to share a bit more about what’s bothering you. This might include feeling anxious, having relationship problems, addiction, depression, bullying or harassment, self-harm or suicide. They will listen and talk with you silently, via text message. You only need to share what you feel comfortable sharing.
- The goal of the conversation is to help you reach a calm and safe place, with a plan of how to support yourself going forwards. As well as listening without judgement, our volunteers may provide you with further resources or tools to help you get more expert support.
- Your conversation will only end when the volunteer is sure you are calm and feeling better. Conversations tend to last around 40 minutes.
Shout text ‘SAC’ to 85258 can help with issues such as:
- Loneliness or isolation
- Money worries
- Relationship problems
- Suicidal thoughts or feelings
What mobile networks can you text ‘SAC” to 85258 from?
You can text SAC to 85258 anonymously and for free from all major UK networks. It is free and confidential to text our service from the following major networks: EE, O2, Three and Vodafone. These include – BT Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Virgin Mobile, iD Mobile, Sky, Telecom Plus, Lobar and GiffGaff.
Some Android phones, including the Samsung Galaxy handset may issue a warning that you will be charged for texting us. Provided you are on one of the networks listed here, this warning is incorrect and you will not be charged.
For further information about SHOUT, please visit their website here.
Click here to view the SHOUT PDF.